Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Taking Out the Trash

You know how everyone has ideas about what a man should do around the house, and what a woman should do? Typically those ideas are grown from your parents ideas about what chores are proper for men, and what chores are proper for women. Like mowing the lawn, and taking out the trash is a mans job, doing the laundry, and cleaning the grout is a womans. That is what I grew up believing at least.

When I moved to Colorado a couple years ago to attend the New Life School of Worship I shared an apartment with two girls my age that also attended the school. I grew up living with six guys so there were things that I just never did around the house.

1. Mow the lawn
2. Take out the trash
3. Scoop the poop
4. Any kind of car maintenance
5. Any kind of yard work
etc.

Living with two girls (that came from families with lots of woman) was difficult in the respect that it was ingrained in me that I still should not have to take out the garbage (we didn't have grass, or yards, or shared vehicles, or animals or I'm sure we would have had more issues than trash).

It was crammed so far into my DNA that the thought of taking it out never actually entered my mind. It was something I never had to think about before. It would always magically disappear and a brand new empty bag would appear. Just like that. I was blessed.

So why am I sharing all this useless information with you? Because school was cancelled today and I've been working on my homework for the last two hours. Deciding it was high time for a break I ventured into the kitchen to find an overflowing trash can. Not only is it overflowing, the sight alone wouldn't have penetrated that deep, but the smell ranks about a 7 on the "worst smells I've ever smelled" list. All of these years of being blessed by brothers who know their place, and fights with roommates because I couldn't get over myself came flooding back to me. I raced back to our bedroom and my laptop knowing that I had to record this momentous occasion.

You guys... I'm going to take out the trash.
The embodiment of the dreaded chore itself.
I never knew it was so hard to pull a bag out of a plastic tub. 
Finally. 

I was on a roll.

Sitting safely outside where it will not bother anyones senses ever again... Except for Brady's when I make him take it out to the curb. Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day! 
P.S. You can click on the pictures to make them bigger! I just discovered this!

No comments:

Post a Comment