Thursday, June 7, 2012

Caught

It is not abnormal to find the four of us (My Grandparents, Brady, and I) sitting around the kitchen after a day of gardening, sewing, mommy-ing, and work--telling stories, eating dinner, and making jokes. Shortly after Brady and I moved in during one of these common gatherings in the kitchen my Grandma grabbed our attention with a muttered "oh no."

She had been cleaning and refilling the glass bowl of water marbles they'd bought while on vacation. She pulled out a broken marble. "I wonder how that happened..."

"Maybe somebody smushed it?"

All eyes were on me. I can't keep a secret to save my life "I thought that they'd be smushy. But they're not. I smushed it in half."

"You smushed it in half and then you hid it underneath all the others so no one would find it?" Brady asked with a smile.

I nodded. Guilty.

"She's like a little kid."


It's true. Growing up with six other kids to blame stuff on has not done me well. Brady always finds me out. There are tell tale signs--


  1. I blame it on Eric. Brady's old roommate. 
  2. I blame it on Avey. Been blamin her since I was pregnant.
  3. I blame it on curiosity.
  4. I cry.

But I don't lie.

To his credit he never gets mad. He always thinks I'm kinda funny.


Honest to God I don't know why I do the things I do. I could get real deep and introspective with this post but I wont because the truth is though 99.9% of the time I don't think things through (like smushing none smushable water marbles) it always eventually leads to a good laugh and a good razz.



Like the time when I was 16, days after we moved to Texas, I burst into my Aunts house and held my family captive while I told them how I saw a dead penguin on the side of the road. Still to this day anytime anyone in my family drives past a skunk on the road they text, or call-- "I just passed a Texas Penguin."


When someone eats all the ice cream I blame Avey. When something gets broken I hide it. I probably need to take a trip to the Dr. Phil Show because there is probably something very wrong with me. Something that probably has to do with my spider phobia and the way that bunnies creep me out. I'm not going to dwell today.

Today I have to figure out how to convince Brady to fix the coaster that I accidentally broke when I picked up my glass to take a drink. The glass coaster clung and then dropped to the concrete floor. Right now it's hiding in a gift bag on my dresser.

Dear Dr. Phil,

.....

No comments:

Post a Comment