Needless to say we try to stay away from Panda Express these days. Orange Chicken lover that I am isn't okay with that. Every Valentines Day I refine my recipe a bit and this year I could feel that I was on to something.
3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite size pieces
1 large egg
1 1/2 tsp salt
oil (for frying)
1/2 cup cornstarch, plus
2 tbs cornstarch
1/4 cup flour
2 tbs ground ginger
2 tsp garlic, minced
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tbs rice wine
1/4 cup water
1 tsp sesame oil (optional)
3 tbs soy sauce
3 tbs water
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 orange, zest of
- Prepare orange sauce in medium size bowl and set aside
- Heat oil in deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
- Combine egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tbs oil in a small-meduim sized bowl.
- Combine 1/2 cup cornstarch and 1/4 cup flour in a separate small-meduim sized bowl.
- Take a handful of chicken pieces at a time and toss them in the egg mixture, then coat them in the flour mixture.
- Add chicken to deep fryer, small batches at a time, and fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden crisp. Do not overcook.
- Remove chicken from oil and drain on paper towels. Set aside.
- Now this is the tricky part. Get the rest of your ingredients ready to toss into the wok because this next part is fast! Read through the rest of the directions before you begin.
- Heat wok 15 seconds over high heat.
- Add 2 tbs oil.
- Add 2 tbs ginger and 2 tsp garlic. Then stir-fry until fragrant; about ten seconds.
- Add and stir-fry 1 tsp crushed red pepper.
- Add 2 tbs rice wine and stir for 3 seconds.
- Add previously prepared Orange Sauce and bring to boil.
- Add cooked chicken and stir until mixed thoroughly.
- Stir 1/2 cup water into remaining 2 tbs cornstarch until smooth and then add to wok.
- Heat until the sauce thickens.
- Stir in 1 tsp sesame oil, if desired.
- Serve with rice.