Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Chicken and Dumplings

Growing up we'd beg my Mom to make chicken and dumplings. It was a family favorite. My Mom would get out a big ole pot and magic happened. No joke. This is one of my favorite recipes ever. It's a comfort food and perfect for a rainy day like today.

You'll find that it needs a little bit of salt and pepper at the end. Staying true to my mothers recipe I don't add it in during the process but flavor it to my liking in my own bowl. My mom never added it into the mix because we were kids and kids like things plain.



Ingredients:
5 chicken breasts
2 cups water
2 cans cream of chicken soup (click here for a much healthier substitute recipe)
1 can milk (use empty cream of chicken soup can)
2 cups flour
4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 cup milk
4 tbsp vegetable oil

Directions:
Boil 5 chicken breasts in an extra large pot in 2 cups of water. While chicken is boiling mix together in a meduim-large sized bowl 2 cups of flour, 4 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 cup of milk, and 4 tbsp vegetable oil. Mixture will form a sticky ball. Set aside.

After cooked through remove chicken from water and place on cutting board. Add 2 cans cream of chicken soup to the water that the chicken was cooked in. Cut chicken into chunks and add back to pot with 1 can of milk.

Cook on high heat until bubbling, stirring frequently. Then drop dumpling mixture by the spoonful into boiling broth. Cover pot, turn heat to medium and cook approximately 20 minutes or until dumplings are cooked through, stirring frequently.

No comments:

Post a Comment